Android upgrade in Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 from 2.3.6 Gingerbread to 4.4.1 KitKat (CyanogenMod ROM)
Before you start Android upgrading process read carefully all the text below, to know what problems to expect and
how to manage them.
To complete all the instruction it will be necessary to have working Windows 7 operating system.
I pulled much effort to do it under Linux (Ubuntu 14.04), but it was impossible for me to make Odin.exe detect
my smartphone. Under windows I also had some problems but finally i managed it to work properly.
Before you start upgrading you have to root your phone.
is instruction how to do it.
Below there are files necessary to complete all process:
Connect your phone to computer and copy to sdcard first three files:
nonstandard recovery TWRP, CyanogenMod ROM, Google Applications (it contains Google Play Shop application).
You can achieve this by connecting your phone in mass storage mode or using adb command
from Android SDK, for example:
Next run ROM Manager application and choose
Restart in Recovery Mode option. Your smartphone will restart and run
Stock (default - 3e) Recovery. When it appears image with Android outside white box, press and release
one time Menu button. The image should appear a bit pale coloured.
Wait for the recovery 3e to be loaded successfully.
adb push twrp2.2.1-recovery.zip /sdcard/
adb push cm-11.0-20131207-UNOFFICIAL-ADCT_alpha3-ariesve.zip /sdcard/
adb push DevCon-Gapps-KK-4.4-20131116.zip
- Choose apply update from sdcard option and point the file: twrp2.2.1-recovery.zip.
Wait for the file to load properly and restart your phone by choosing option: reboot system now.
- Run phone again in recovery mode (either by ROM Manager or by
turning phone on with Volume Up + Power + Home keys pressed). This time
TWRP recovery will be loaded.
- Make system backup (Backup option) and next call following options:
Wipe -> Factory Reset, Wipe -> Cache, Wipe -> Dalvik Cache,
Wipe -> System.
By now then load custom ROM (cm-11.0-20131207-UNOFFICIAL-ADCT_alpha3-ariesve.zip) using Install option
and next load DevCon-Gapps-KK-4.4-20131116.zip.
- Reboot the system. This time it is very likely that your smartphone will loop falling down into recovery mode
again and again. In next steps I will explain how to make it properly load the CyanogenMod operating system.
- Turn off the phone from the computer and run Windows 7 operating system. Install Samsung usb drivers for mobile
phones (file SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe)
- Connect phone to the computer and turn it on in Download Mode (by pressing Volume Down + Power + Home
- On the computer extract files: AriesVE.zip and Odin.zip
- On the computer run Odin.exe application and check if your phone was detected properly
(the first field in COM Port Mapping section is not empty). If so, skip the next step of instruction.
If not close Odin app and go to the next step.
- Run the KiesSetup.exe application. Go through the steps of the installation process
until it asks you to disconnect detected phone to continue installation. Do not disconnect it.
Instead run again Odin.exe application. This time your smartphone should appear in Odin.
Now you may cancel KiesSetup.exe installation.
- In Odin click OPS button and point to the AriesVE.ops file. Next click
BOOT button and point to the Boot_loader.tar file. Click the
- The files should properly flash into the phone. Now you may reboot the phone and enjoy new Android Kit Kat.